8.14.2007

Zombies, Divas, and Curlers....Oh My!

Another blatant plug for our upcoming show, "Aaah! Rosebud!" opening on August 23. Check out this kick-ass article from this weekend's SF Chronicle. Helps to know people in high places (thanks Peter!)If you haven't bought tickets, do so ASAP, as the theatre is way small.

The show is coming together and it's been a fun ride. I had to overcome a stage fear that has haunted me since the 8th grade: singing a solo off key. And let me tell you, it's been really good for me (she says, before she actually has done it before a live audience). Let me take you back to Worthington, Ohio circa 1986 and a rousing production of "Sound of Music" in which I got the lovely role of Brigitta (affectionately known as the Von Trapp who gets her butt smacked with a book for being late to the line up.) We had 16 kids in our version, since they would often write in parts so more kids in our very large middle school could participate. The ridiculousness of this was lost on us, but not on our parents who were like, "16 kids?! Good Lord."

In the "So Long, Farewell" number, I was given a one line solo: "I'm glad to go, I cannot tell a lie." Simple, short, sweet. I was in church choir and school choir so I thought it would be no big deal. And I had in nailed in rehearsals. Well.....there I am, in the big parent evening performance. I step up to the mike to face my moment in the sun. And at the top of my lungs, with the best singing breath I can muster, I sign off key right into the mike. No place to hide, no where to run. I knew it while it was happening. It was awful.

Since then, I've sung in numerous choirs and I can belt out an on-key, pitch perfect song by myself...when I'm by myself. The minute I get in front of people of any quantity to do a solo, my music ear gets thrown out the window and I can't carry a tune.

So this role of Esther, the aspiring (but horribly skilled) diva is a great achievement for me. I had no idea I'd be doing a solo when I got cast, and that was probably for the better! The fact that I've been able to belt out my song in front of the cast alone is a huge step. Now the real test comes next Thursday night. Luckily, I don't have to be great so it goes with the character. But I am glad to have this chance to overcome one of my biggest fears - and have fun doing it! Won't you come out and support me?!

1 comment:

cifip said...

Break a leg! We'll be there on the 30th (our 4th anniversary - oh my!)