4.29.2008

Images: A Mental Photo Album

I've been fascinated with images lately - little snippets of a moment that just resonate with me somehow. Part of it is going through the book Style Statement, written by my new faves Carrie and Danielle (who I adore - a group of us are working with them on a Seattle event and they are deliciously inspirational). The book helps you "know yourself" and what makes you tick - things we don't often spend time doing. The goal of it is to simplify your life by coming up with a two-word statement that defines your style, essence, preferences - and not just for fashion, but applied to relationships, career, outlook, etc. In doing so, you define your "brand" and often can make better decisions. I'm stuck on mine right now towards the end (too many words to choose from!) but it's a wonderful process. "Hello, self, nice to meet you! What are your likes and dislikes? What is your favorite flower? What moves you?" It's like a really nice first date with your soul.

Anyway, I spent the weekend in NY at a wedding of a dear childhood friend and also got to catch up with one of my best friends and her 17-month old. It was lovely to talk and laugh and be myself with those who know me best. I carried the following images and snippets home with me from this trip:
  • Slowly strolling through an Upper West Side street fair with my gal pal, with baby in tow, and talking about life as NY bustles around us.
  • Relaxing on a brown fluffy cushion in a wine bar at 4 in the afternoon
  • A simply beautiful new church built in the classic style, surrounded by lawns of bright green with a lighly clouded sky framing the steeple.
  • Casually sipping a latte in a rustically tan and brown cafe, complete with exposed brick walls and French country bric-a-brac (I love that word)
  • A gorgeous bride silhouetted by the sun through the doorway as she makes her walk down the aisle
Take some time this week and capture these "mental photos" in your own life. Simplify and pare it down so you can carry it with you. You'll be amazed at how it helps you not only enjoy the moment, but enables you to keep a piece of that joy with you after you leave.

1 comment:

linksysone said...

Hey nice page, il check it regularly.