6.12.2008

Sex, The City, and Product Placement

OK, I've had a few days to digest the new SATC movie. First off, I was against this film from the first whiffs of a rumor that it might come to pass. The girls went out on top. The last episode left us hopeful for the future, but provided some closure and happy endings at the same time. The Cosmos, high fashion, countless bad dates and - most importantly to those males out there who just don't get it - the amazing friendships single older women can have with each other, were all tucked nicely in my "fond memory" vault, as I myself moved on from my urban diva single gal days.

But no. Like Michael Jordan or Dennis Quaid's pathetic character in "Everybody's All American", they just couldn't leave well enough alone.

I admit I got sucked in. The movie was out and I WAS curious as to what happened to my girls. Especially after hearing SJP on In the Actor's Studio talk about making a movie that was true to the characters and that had to address that four years had passed and lives had changed. Hmmmm, I thought, what does become of them? And is their transition going along as mine is?

So, I rounded up some gal pals and Fandangoed last Saturday night.

Observation #1: The previews for several romantic comedies (some smart, some sappy) along with about 100 women and 2 hapless chaps giggling at the trailers' predictable moments would have been my husband's idea of his own personal Dante-esque hell. But I have to admit, I loved it!

Observation #2: Kudos to the writers and everyone involved with SATC. They really did present a realistic portrait of the evolutionary yet grounded friendship of these women and did not attempt to show them stuck at the same crossroads as four years ago. Samantha had moved to LA, Charlotte's daughter actually aged in real-time, not film time, and Miranda was feeling the pressures of sacrificing for her marriage. And Carrie's career had moved forward in the ensuing period, as did her relationship with Big.

Observation #3: Thumbs down for the "you're hurting my eyes" product placement and overemphasis on the materialism. This played into every stereotype men have about this show. Now I'm not getting all sanctimonious. I LOVED the urban landscape of this series, the fantastic shoes, the clothes, the swanky lifestyle. But in my opinion, it was merely a backdrop to the strong bond between these women and their seach for love as a mature adult. That is what this show was about for me. Identifying with these women who had careers, were self-sufficient, and who were still looking for love in their 30's and 40's. Every image of female friendships on TV and film seems to suggest we're all either single and miserable or married with kids and friends with other women who are married with kids. This is not reality. I can't identify with "According to Jim's" beautiful wife who puts up with his slovenly behavior, has 3 kids by the time she's 35, and her best friend is her sister. Not judging here, just saying this is not my life. But the film was over the top with the shopping and the designers and the whatnot. Vivienne Westwood, Manolo, Louis Vuitton, yada yada. Maybe I'm just jealous, I don't know, but I was like, "Stop it this instant!"

Observation #4: Another kudos for the beautiful "Circle of Life" subtlety that was represented by Jennifer Hudson's character, Louise. Carrie's new assistant was a smart, hopeful, excited girl from St. Louis who admits she moved to NY to "find love." Rather than trying to box the four friends into the same people they were "back then" the writers deftly showed how some women grow up and leave and the next crop shows up at the door. There's even a cute moment in the opening sequence showing Carrie walking down a NY street, and she passes a group of gals in their 20's or 30's, doing what she used to do with her friends, and she smiles to herself. It's lovely. When I left San Francisco's Marina district, I felt the same way. I would pass the gaggle of ladies heading off to Balboa for the evening in their sparkly tops and their fabulous clutches, all excitement and happiness as they had no idea what the evening had in store for them. And I would laugh as I saw this proverbial changing of the guard. I'm sure, like me, Carrie had an impulse to try to impart years of advice into the 30 seconds those girls might grant her! But we all have to learn those lessons on our own, for better or worse, don't we?

SATC as a movie did not change lives or push any boundaries. But it was like catching up with old friends and seeing how they are doing. Minus the fact that most (not all) of my friends don't own that many $500 shoes or $2000 handbags. But that was never really the point.

No comments: