4.16.2009

Encouraging Women and Making Our Daughters Strong

Man or woman, please sign the petition to get the new bill on creating a Commission for Women passed. The last commission on women was during JFK's term, but would be great to get it going again. I'm not necessarily a radical feminist, but the commission would cover areas such as education/training, domestic violence prevention, pay equality, and encouraging more women to participate in government and corporate leadership positions. This is good for ALL of us, not just women.

View the entire text of the bill
here.

Nell Merlino, CEO of
Count Me In and general rabble rouser and activist (she coordinated the first Take Our Daughters to Work Day) just wrote an inspiring book called "Stepping Out Of Line: Lessons for Women Who Want it Their Way In Life, In Love and At Work." She's a friend of a friend and I went to her Seattle book signing - just finished the book. It's fabulous. The one thing that stuck with me was that women today - right now - need to be an example to our daughters, nieces and students. We can't just hope "things are better for them" or live quiet, unhappy lives and hope they go on to live their passions. Girls do what we do, say what we say.

After reading her book, I saw this clearly in terms of my own niece, Angelina. She's 3, but I want her to know she can do anything. But to get that message across, I have to live that same life as an example - not just talk the talk. Many moms, aunts, and grandmothers out there really want their daughters to "have it all" but don't go after it themselves. That is a tragedy. Of the genders, females tend to mimic more than males (Merlino references a study in her book about how female babies can mimic adult faces 400 times more than male babies). So we women, here, today, now need to be that example for them.

And women who stay in abusive realtionships but want their daughters to escape that life need to get out of the relationship - they can't just TELL their daughter to not fall into the same trap. They need to live the example. I saw this time and again when volunteering at a domestic violence shelter. We need more education, training, and role models for girls to realize there are other options out there - and to show them what healthy, successful, loving relationships should look like.

Again, I have never been a radical feminist. I believe women should have a choice if they want to work or stay home. Motherhood is just as noble and valued as any other profession - if not more so. I grew up that way and had a fantastic childhood that I treasure. What I am saying is that women can't teach their daughters to go after their dreams if they themselves don't go after them. So ladies, make sure you are living your life deliberately and with purpose and passion to show our girls what is possible.

Let's get this women's commission bill passed!

1 comment:

Red Door Team said...

Your article is awesome. I have always tried to do this for my girls and now will be especially aware as I continue to try to show my grown daughters good examples.