6.07.2009

La Dolce Vita Lives Up to Its Name

My hubbie and I decided to be a bit adventurous Saturday night. Craving Italian food (maybe it's all the research I'm doing for my new book proposal) we decided to try a new place. We were both in the mood for more traditional Italian cooking, not nouveau/gourmet nonsense. Don't get me wrong, that has its place but I was looking for comfort food and a nice solid glass of wine.

Booking through Open Table (we love getting the points), we came across La Dolce Vita in Lower Queen Anne. There were some lovely reviews and the menu looked right on - lots of pastas, bruschetta, even this amazing pinwheel pork loin stuffed with ricotta and served with green beans and a root beer and stoned ground mustard reduction. Yummers.

Che bella! This place is a true gem. The owner, Chris, waited on us, as it was a slow night. They are a little off the beaten path but so close to Queen Anne Ave, it's ridiculous. The decor is classic Italian bistro, with burgundy banquette seats accented by a simple floral fabric pattern, tasteful Italian landscape art on the walls and just a few faux collonades that stop way short of being cheesy. Chris was friendly, amusing and attentive. We opted for the bruschetta sampler - one of them had roasted garlic galore (My husband made me try some, too, so I couldn't refuse to kiss him for 3 days) - and the Insalta Girasole: mixed greens salad with sunflower seed vinaigrette. Simple. Lovely.

Our mains were tortellini alla'amatriciana and pappardelle alla bolognese. All I can say is "WOW!" This dished were made with love. I'm a huge fan of the pancetta and onion marinara that is Amatriciana, but had never had it with anything but bucatini before. It was lovely with the fluffy, fresh tri-colored tortellini. And Paul's pappardelle was some of the freshest pasta I've ever had, ful of meaty ragu goodness with a little bit of a kick.. I always think it's a good sign when I can see the olive oil residue in the plate after I've had a sauce dish, as it reminds me of my mother's sauce. We cleaned our plates. We both agreed we hadn't had Italian this good since Incanto in SF.

For dessert, we ordered the Dulce de la Torat di Leche: Shortcake soaked in spiced sweet milk, sweet macarpone, raspberries, caramel, and nuts. It was rich, sweet and delicious.

Wines were a Barbera for me (which Chris let me taste first, always a classy move) and a Montepulciano for Paul. I thought the Barbera might be too complex for me, but with my heavy meal, it was perfect.

It was one of those adventurous evenings that works out just perfectly. This is our new neighborhood gem and we're definitelu going back!

No comments: