7.22.2009

When Fish Fly

Got to enjoy the tasty, fresh seafood and hopping atmosphere is Flying Fish here in Seattle the other night. A dear friend who I haven't seen in 10 years was in town on business and I booked us at this spot I've been dying to try. Hubbie is not a seafood fan, so we never made it out to this Seattle hot spot in Belltown.

The place was funky, as per Belltown eatieries, but it had soul. There was a lively, but not too chaotic vibe and I could see making a weekly pilgrmage for Friday cocktails to this place if I lived closeby. Their funky and minimalist neon lettering outside is just the right touch for a place with such a warm but modern feel. Being a warm Seattle summer night, we opted to sit outside and it was well worth it.

The menu changes daily so you are always in for a treat. Mussels, Thai crab cakes and a lovely Ono were our calls for sharing. The mussels were a generous sharing portion, seasoned with Thai herbs and accompanied by a chili lime dipping sauce. My friend said the mussels were the best she's ever had - and this was after raving about the ones at Balthazar in NY.

The crab cakes came with citrus salad, shaved radish, and a lovely lemongrass mayonnaise. They were cooked to perfection - ever so crispy on the outside, and lush and smooth on the inside. The ono was a special and I can't recall exactly what it had in it, but suffice it to say it was a tasty blend of several flavors. The fish was so fresh and thick, a few bites actually filled us up.

I would highly recommend this joint if you are visiting or having friends visit. The service was amazing, the staff friendly and right on top of things. All in all, an enjoyable visit with a good friend who I hadn't seen in ages!

No comments: