11.03.2009

Recovering from Brain Injury: Telling my Story

We all have a story to tell. In my work, I advise businesses on how to tell their stories "to engage, inform and delight." But this mission is also a personal one. I've always been a storyteller, whether it be marketing, writing or acting. I love watching the "a ha" moment happen for people who have just learned something new, or are moved, inspired or delighted.

I've been pitching my story about recovering from brain aneuyrysm/hemorrhage to various media outlets and group to help educate about brain injury and inspire those facing challenges. KUOW here in Seattle loved this bizarre and transformational story and just interviewed me for KUOW Presents, which will air on Saturday November 7, between 12 and 2 pm Pacific time. We talked a lot about what I'd learned, how my goals and such had changed, and even about some of the more humorous and crazy things that my initial brain injury caused me to say and think while in ICU!

As with marketing, you need to ensure you have value to offer your audience when doing something like this. And I really wanted to let people know about the effects of brain injury, that the struggle is ongoing even if you "look" fine and that you have to redefine and accept yourself as a result. So many people know litte about this experience, and especially with the uptick in traumatic brain injuries from those returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, you can be sure you or someone you know, work with or hang out with may be touched by it.

Given some folks I met whose families and friends did not understand what was happening to them - often causing disastrous results - I felt I should use my miraculously recovery to help be their voice.

Many of the experiences I documented (when I was able to finally get vision back and type) are here.

2 comments:

Johnny Simian said...

I heard your story on Kuow and it reminded me allot of my story. I contracted Meningitis in 2002 and the brain swelling nearly killed me.

Afterwards I had to walk with a cane @ 34 years old, and couldn't walk up stairs. I was coarse with those that I love, and oddly could not eat enough Fried Egg Sandwiches which I never cared for, before or after my injury.

Thank you for sharing your story. I think we all take our brains for granted, until something goes wrong. Then it's hard to tell if it's you or the world that is broken :D

-Johnny

Red Slice said...

Thanks for sharing Johnny. Yes, odd how much our brains control besides our physical beings. SO funny you mention the eggs. I had such a ridiculous sweeth tooth for over 9 months after the event - had to have dessert almost every night. I was never like this before! I've since weaned off of this, but my husband was even like, "what the hell?!" SOmetimes it felt like someone else invaded my body.
I hope your recovery is on track and I wish you continued good health and happiness. Thanks for listening.