6.04.2007

Mobile Burritos

I had one of THE most fantastic burritos to ever pass my lips yesterday from El Tonayense. And that's a bold statement coming from a San Franciscan. I had passed the sketchy looking trailers on Harrison multiple times but never thought anything of them - until I read they were voted Best Burritos in town in a recent SF Weekly readers' poll. So on a totally depressing, foggy, and cold Sunday afternoon, my husband and I decided to be adventurous and give it a shot. And YUM we are so glad we did!

Delighted to put my Spanish minor to good use, I ordered like a native (at least I like to delude myself into thinking so). I ordered a pollo asado burrito, while Paul went for the pollo asado quesadilla, both con todo. While the only difference between the two orders was that his was just a slightly grilled version of my burrito, these were both delectable delights from the old country. Creamy guac, lean chicken grilled to perfection, and a side of secret salsa that kicked you in the ass. I am not the burrito aficionado my husband is, but man, these were awesome.

And we paid $11 for both items together with a side of chips. That's a bargain any day, rain or shine, in the City by the Bay. Have I been frequenting the wrong taquerias or what? Mmmmmm......tasty good spot (there are actually 3 lunch trucks spaced out on Harrison, the easiest to find being the one parked at Best Buy) to get lunch and head to the park, or to treat out-of-town guests looking for authentic Mission-style grub.

No comments: