10.26.2007

I'd Love to Have a Seat

Being a stranger in a strange land requires one to be adventurous, curious, and eager to learn. But most of all, it requires moxie. As a Seattle newcomer, I can't wait around for people to come find me - I have to make the first move.

And with that in mind, I arranged to meet a friend of a friend on a "blind friend date" of sorts at a lovely spot she recommended, The Sitting Room. This casual bar/cafe feels like it got swept up in Dorothy's cyclone from Paris or Prague and landed right here in lower Queen Anne. Amber-red lighting, random art and bric-a-brac, and an array of both wooden bistro tables and comfy wing chairs set the stage for one of the best places I can think of for meeting up with friends - and actually being able to hear each other talk.


The Sitting Room is located right next to On the Boards, which boasts visionary and comtemporary artistic performances; thus, a stream of both artistic and neigborhood folks create a relaxed vibe that is not a pick up scene, nor a snoozefest. It just felt good to there. One of those places where you immediately feel comfortable bellying up to the bar, even if you are alone and waiting for someone you've never met before.


I was not feeling particularly beverage bold, so I ordered a Grey Goose and Tonic (my standard) and it was served with love and an adorable lime twist. They also offer some specialty cocktails made with goodies like cucumber and pomegranate that sounded refreshing and intriguing I was feeling a bit peckish, as my Scottish husband would say, so I opted for the bruschetta special of chevre and mision figs, drizzled with a red wine reduction and topped with walnuts. It was lovely and the bread was just crispy enough to hold the chevre without wounding the roof of your mouth. The Sitting Room also offers a full menu for those who don't want to leave this oasis after Happy Hour. I could easily whittle away a Friday or Saturday night with friends here, especially ones who might be visiting and require extensive quality catch-up time.


The new friend I made is a theatre compadre who grew up with a fellow actor I knew in SF. She is heavily involved with Annex Theatre and they are in the midst of a unique production called "I Feel Fine" running until November 10. It is a collaborative performance collage centered around a party at the end of the world. View the production pics on their site - looks like quite the colorful apocalyptic party!



No comments: