11.14.2007

Food and Storytelling

What is it about food that makes it such a great catalyst for storytelling? I have recently dusted off a long-buried memoir idea - a collection of stories about growing up Italian (and not being in the Mob) and I have a whole chapter devoted to food as tradition. But many people can weave an entire night's tale by the fire around a butternut squash recipe.

I wonder why this is. Can it be that food is so universal and representative of different times in our lives? That the aromas and tastes can instantly transport us to another time and place? Maybe it's because food makes use of most of our senses - touch being used most infrequently, but still.....so when we file away a memory of that perfect dinner party or family gathering, it includes the buttery taste on our tongue, the sweet aroma of cumin, the tender meat morsel that melts in your mouth, or the fabulous array of spices and garnish served on the platter.

Of course, food can also be associated with some not-so-fabulous memories. Don't even show me a frozen bag of mixed veggies that include lima beans. I TOLD Mom it would make me sick, but noooooo....she thought I was just whining. I won't go into more detail on that one, gentle readers.

A friend of mine wrote a book that has yet to be published which I just ripped through in less than a day (that's how good it is) and it talks about the European custom of savoring your food, savoring the companionship and enjoying the "event" with all of your senses - from the food itself, to how it is presented to what the table settings look like. I guess my Mediterranean heritage shines through once again, for I love dining in this way. It is an experience meant to be savored and enjoyed.

Too often we look to our meals as "fueling stations" on the highway of life. Something to remember to do when things get crazy. That's sad. Some of the best moments in my life have involved gathering around a table with friends and family to celebrate a holiday, a promotion, or just the fact that we are in each other's lives on a cold Friday evening.

Rather than waiting to sit down to a nice dinner when you have stories to tell and time to tell them, we have to make time for the food - and the memories of that evening will lead to the stories that follow for years to come.


No comments: