11.25.2007

My Mexi-French-Italia Food Fest

Has everyone recovered from turkey and stuffing overload? More imporantly, from "lots of family in close quarters" overload? This year, we did not venture to the wild Midwest but stayed close to home and avoided the airports - talk about being thankful. But I hope everyone enjoyed dining, dishing and debating with family and friends on this lovely pit-stop on the road to Christmas (which is what most retail outlets would have you think is the true meaning of this Autumn holiday) Now Thanksgiving is behind us and advertisers have unabashedly gone full throttle to holiday shopping.

But, oh, what a lovely gastronomic tour de force we had the last 4 days! Before I get to the best which I save for last, let's begin with our quest for some mid-week Mexican love last Tuesday - we found it in La Carta de Oaxaca, a casual joint in Ballard that makes clever use of corn, chiles and chocolate in its homestyle cooking. The restaurant was a plain space, crammed with tables and patrons, but artfully decorated not in pinatas or garish colors, but what seemed like hundreds of poignant and interesting photographs. Varying in size, they seemed to capture the people and architecture of what I have to assume to be Mexico or other South American villages. You couldn't stop staring at the depictions of life gracing the walls.

And I couldn't stop eating my silky smooth chicken mole. This place is known for it's mole (choose pork or chicken), and it delivers. Like a chocolate massage down the throat, the chicken slid off the bone and the mole meandered down to my tummy and settled there warm and wonderful on this chilly fall evening. The portions were sane and satisfying. And the chips and guac were muy delicioso. Definitely on the list of weeknight stops for future Mexican bliss.

Not on the itinerary for the future is Le Pichet. Craving mussels and pommes frites, we ventured to this French bistro in Belltown. While definitely displaying all the accoutrements of the classic bar/cafe - wooden wine label signs, mismatched champagne buckets, bistro tables, small-tiled floors and the Fromage chalkboard displaying featured daily cheeses - the vibe was a bit cold and way too bright in the lighting department. I felt like I was being interrogated in the witness room on Law & Order. Service was spotty - they seemed to act like we were lucky to get a seat without a reservation, even though the place was a ghost town (one amusing note was that they have chalkboard-topped tables so they write "Reserved" on the actual table. As we dined, none of the tables marked "Reserved" ever filled, and even some walk-ins got the supposed "reserved" table next to ours. Methinks this is akin to sending yourself flowers to make the boy you really like jealous, hmmm?)

Boasting a rather long by-the-glass wine selection, you would think they could provide some guidance. But when I asked the waitress which white would go best with my mussels (I was feeling adventurous) I got a very lame, "Well, it depends on what you like" as she listed off about 8 possibilities. No, no, no, people. If you have an extensive wine list AND you masquerade as a French bistro, then get educated and have an opinion. I don't want to be "yessed" to death: I am seeking your expertise. Sigh...

It was not all bad. The bread was crusty, warm and wonderful. My mixed greens with hazelnuts and mustard vinaigrette was fresh and yummy. And my hubbie enjoyed the country-style pork pate, even though that type of pate is a bit more hearty than he prefers. But my mussels were just okay (they seemed a bit understeamed if that is possible) since I am more a fan of the clear wine broths vs. creamy thick mollosk marinades like th bacon, leek and saffron cream in which mine bathed. This is a personal preference, so I would give it a go if I were you. Overall, the bright lights and the sub-par service made me want to get out of there fast. I was saddened by this, since a local French bistro you can count on is a staple for me. The search continues....

And then - joy of joys - we ventured to La Spiga in Capitol Hill on Saturday night. I have been dying to try this spot since our realtor Ron recommended it. And it did not let me down! Stylish ironworks around the bar, high ceilings slatted with pine, and a large front window that upon closer inspection, was revealed to be a glass garage door made this industrial and funky osteria a chic local hotspot for groups, dates and even on our night, a sophisticated bachelor party. According to their site, "in Italy, the osteria is an inviting neighborhood spot where locals savor fresh, seasonal food while enjoying the company of good friends. a sophisticated dining spot." I concur. I enjoyed a tickly and bubbly Kir Royale at the bar. Then we were seated and our dinner fest began: insalata mista with a slightly salty vinagrette was fresh and crisp, and Pere con Pesto di Rucola e Fossa (Bartlette pears topped lightly with arugula walnut and Formaggio di Fossa sheep cheese) was nutty and Fall and wonderful. There is so much on the menu I want to go back and try, but I started with the traditional Tagliatelle al Ragu: a lovely homemade pasta made with rich meat and tomato Bolognese sauce with the right balance (for this Italian gal) of detectable Parmesan. My husband tried the Passatelli al Formaggio di Fossa in Brodo di Carne, which is a free-range chicken and natural beef broth cradling Passatelli dumplings with Fossa aged sheep cheese - the entire dish topped with truffle oil. The prices were reasonable for such a chic spot - entrees ranged from $10 to $15. We also indulged in a side of the most perfectly roasted Yukon potatoes with rosemary that I've ever enjoyed for a mere $6.

Other little treats they offer are specialty condiments of rich oils, vinegars and premiere salts. We tried the Peperoncini nell’Olio - Crushed Arbol Chiles in extra virgin olive oil - and enjoyed the kick in the pants our flatbread received with each dipping.

The wine list offered lots of by the glass options and I partook of a lovely Primitivo (the Italian style of Zinfandel). It was like the good Zinfandels of yesteryear - before they started upping the sugar (and thus, alchohol) percentages. Mmmmm. I had two (hiccup.)

La Spiga rocked. I want to go back weekly to try all the seasonal goodies before the menu changes and also to become a regular. Yes, my dream is to become the "Norm from Cheers" of an Italian trattoria. Call me kooky.

No comments: