1.21.2008

Sundance '08: "I totally admire, like, musicians, and stuff."

Sundance '08 brought me home with the memory of Quentin Tarantino bumping into me (literally) in my hotel lobby and a stomach bug. Enjoying a shorter stay than in years past, I ate, drank, and celeb-spotted by way up and down Main Street for only 2 days and 3 nights.

This year, the festival tipped the scales at about 50,000 - up about 10k from last year according to the word on the street. I only started going 5 years ago, but I have never seen it this crowded or crazy. Time was, you could easily get individual film tickets online beforehand (even though that system is as painful as a sharp stick in the eye - Silicon Valley, please hook these guys up....) or just wait a bit in the Wait List line and 4 out of 5 times you were golden. Not the case this year. First off, not everyone registered even received an online ticket buying window (my partner in crime being one of them) and us "lucky" few who did were met with most everything being already sold on when we logged in, leaving the scraps - to which you couldn't even get THOSE tickets. Once you clicked to buy, you got an error message that it was indeed not available. Headache.

We managed to get into 2 films on the waitlist, and a panel so all was not lost. First up was "Good Dick" written, directed by and starring Marianna Palka, an adorable Scottish lass with some weighty ties in Hollywood. While this was her first script, she got her friend Jason Ritter on board, who in turn got Charles Durning in for a cameo (not too shabby) and she also snagged Tom Arnold for the role of her abusive father. I totally admire that she pretty much did this film as a resume piece - she admitted to writing it with all intents of starring in it - and that is good, since the odd dysfunctional and provocative premise of the film leaves little room for mass distribution. But the art is the thing, right? The movie centers around a sexually damaged woman who rents erotica every day from her local video store. Jason Ritter is the adorable puppy dog/whipping post who decides to reach out (in almost stalker like proportions) to this girl, thus creating one of the most disturbing and dysfunctional relationships since Brian the Dog's infatuation with Lois on "The Family Guy." Not sure the characters were likeable enough for me, but I appreciated the moments of black humor and the idea that humans can and must find love in the most unorthodox ways. Palka stated the film cost about $1M to make, which surprised me based on what I saw, but she also chose to film in L.A. which never helps.

We tried to get into some other films, but ended up lucking into "Chronic Town" instead. This isolated tale of a flawed cab driver in Fairbanks, Alaska follows his quest to find friendship and connection after he is dumped by his girlfriend. The desolate, "nothing changes here" locale was perfect for the film's mood and the director, Tom Hines, thanked his producers (which include his now wife) profusely for supporting his desire that they could not film anywhere else. The film starts JR Bourne, a very attractive model-type who they tried to "scruff up" for the role of Truman, an alcoholic, pot smoking mess of a guy. Watch for this guy, I think he'll go far. He managed to make his character wholly likeable while being a complete loser. The acting and production of this film was stellar, but again as with "Good Dick" I felt like the character arc was little plodding.

We wanted to see such films as "The Last Word" about a guy who writes suicide notes for a living; and"Sunshine Cleaning" starring Amy Adams and Emily Blunt, two of my fave actresses, as sisters who start a bioharzard crime scene clean up service. But alas, we took what we could.

For more info on other Sundance films, click here for an alphabetical list.

The panel was called "Webolution! Hollywood Adapts to the Web" and was moderated by Kara Swisher of All Things D. This killer panel was small (we were lucky to get in) and had a great group of industry heavies, ranging from the CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America, to the heads of Joost, Vioh and HuLu to the guy who does emerging media content distribution for Comedy Central, Spike and other MTV properties. Check out Kara's site for her video of the panel (and her celeb/friend guide Jane Lynch who I also saw - loved her in Best in Show and 40 Year Old Virgin) and I'll write more on another post. This panel was the perfect blend of my high-tech experience and love for the entertainment industry. Hmmmm, maybe I need to make that leap after all......

Celebs spotted this year: Marcia Gay Harden (who looks about a size 0 and 10 years younger than she does on screen), Colin Farrell, ("He's very short and has a big head" says Carrie) David Boreanaz (from Angel and Bones - sat drinking next to him at Bar Boheme), Stanley Tucci (as he impressively naivigated the Main Street sidewalk while doing an interview), Dylan Walsh of "Nip/Tuck" (dining a few tables over at Cafe Terigo), Tom Arnold, Jason Ritter, Rachel Hunter (who doesn't really look all that tall but is still stunning), Dennis Quaid (with a posse he was having as much luck getting into the Queer Lounge party as me and Carrie had, which made us not feel so bad), Marc Jacobs (I have to give this one to Carrie, since I had no clue), Jane Lynch (once on the street, graciously having fun taking pics with people and then again at the Web panel), Harvey Weinstein (with a bevy of blond assistants - they looked like duckings, all huddled around him as they walked). And as mentioned at this post's start, Quentin Tarantino in the lobby of my hotel. We smiled and said hello, but I just didn't have it in me to be "that girl" and say "I love your work. Here's my card. Call me if Uma is not available." Damn it! Then he ran into me when he came back in to the lobby. He's kind of like that clumsy lovable friend you had in High School who is scared of girls. I love that the man who can dream up Lucy Liu's character in Kill Bill is really just a goofy guy. Classic.

I also met a key fundraiser for the Seattle Film Festival in my airport shuttle, so watch this space on how I might get involved with that this year.

So overall: more crowds, less films for me to get into, more celebs spotted (this happens when you go towards the beginning of the festival rather than towards the end), typical inane artistic conversations and loud cell phone conversations about deals and PR. "We need to go through him to get her and I think that would be a win, so let's just offer her what she wants."

Viva la independent film.

No comments: