2.28.2008

Geeked out on the WSJ

As a writer, I've always been a sucker for a good news story, well told. I never subscribed to the paper, because I was either a) traveling and preferred the USA Today soundbites and colorful graphs on important topics like Most Popular Pickle Varieties Around the World; b) stealing reads of abandoned papers or magazines in doctor's waiting rooms; c) catching Good Morning America each morning - when they actually had more real news on then they do now; d) listening to NPR which my husband got me hooked on during our former 1 and a 1/2 hour one way commutes/death marches down 101 in San Francisco; or e) Trying to read news sites online.

With the recent move and job changes in my life, I got out of my news-thirsty habits and was feeling a bit adrift. So we recently got a subscription to the Wall Street Journal (after chucking the poorly written Seattle Times) and I gotta tell ya, I'm hooked. I've never devoured a paper like I do this one - there are so many enticing stories, brilliantly written that I often jump from one to the other like a fat kid in a candy factory.

I get a good view of political and world news that is interesting, informative and seemingly unbiased - at least to me. But I also get fascinating marketplace coverage and even the lifestyle articles seem more evolved and make me see things - and people - in a new way. For example:

Today I learned that there's more to Ryan Seacrest than bleached teeth and Paula Abdul wrangling. He's a savvy businessman, this one. This 33-year old not only hosts "Idol", he co-anchors E! News, hosts American Top 40, does something with Dick Clark Productions, does a 5 hour morning radio show in LA and produces one show for E! and has another in the works. Now, in partnership with Clear Channel, he's syndicating his talk show in a mini-format of 3 hours for markets all across the nation. But here's the kicker: he's keeping a percentage of the ad space to sell to sponsors he's already personally affiliated with through TV. Most radio personalities own their show but let the network deal with selling ads. But Ryan has found a way to keep his sugar daddies coming back for more and imbedding promos in his content. He recently hosted a VIP dinner at his house (Wolfgang Puck prepared Kobe steaks and mac and cheese with truffles - oh yeah) for top execs and clients of Coca Cola to pitch his proposal and get their support for rejuvenating radio advertising. They were ga ga for it. Ryan, from a brand standpoint, is a squeaky clean, perfect pitchman with his finger on the pulse of the youth market. I like the way he rolls. What raised him up a few notches in my book was that he learned from one of the best personalites/deal makers in TV: Merv Griffith. Nice.

Kind of makes you wonder whatever happened to that other guy from Season 1 of "Idol", Brian Dunkleman. Do you think he sits on his shabby couch in his boxers, torturing himself by watching new episodes of "Idol" while downing Jack Daniels, screaming "Curse you, Seacrest! I shall have my blood!" Or maybe that's just me.

No comments: