7.02.2007

Do you HAVE to double park?

This is a short PSA rant on double parking in SF. This issue is enough to send me packing to the suburbs (a bold statement, I know). I hope I do all my city brethren a favor.

People, please stop double parking on already narrow streets and blocking traffic! You are in a lane of traffic, you can't just stop whenever you feel like it. What driving school told you this was okay? And putting your blinkers on to wave me around does not help when I can't get through.

I am not immune to ever having done this, don't get me wrong. I have done my share of picking people up, running in to get my take out order, etc. But I'm older and wiser now and try to have a little consideration - not to mention appreciation for safety.

What I can't understand is people that do this when there's a perfectly good parking spot or driveway up ahead they can just pull into. You're waiting in your car anyway - they won't tow you for blocking the drive, they'll just ask you to move. If you are really going to be "just a second" then for the love of God, just pull into the driveway 2 feet in front of you and let traffic flow normally.

The best are the people that do this right at an intersection. So there you are , in the middle of the crosswalk now, hanging out into traffic, endangering pedestrians and causing unecessary traffic snarls. Really, is it so much to ask that you pull up a half a block? Parents dropping off and picking up their kids do this in front of the school down the block from my house. Make your kid walk 50 feet, will ya? I promise it won't kill them, although your inconsideration for others people's children crossing the street just might.

Sigh....charity begins at home in small ways. The world is hard enough and mean enough these days. Show a little courtesy and self-awareness for how your actions impact others.

Peace out....

No comments: