12.13.2007

For Your Consideration

Call them what you like: petty, vapid, meaningless in the fabric of human time and existence. They are out. The 2008 Golden Globe nominations. A little bit of sparkle and glamour to cheer our winter doldrums. For the complete listing, check out my friend BuzzSugar.

Not a lot of huge surprises in my book. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Mary-Louise Parker, Sally Field, Keira Knightly, Kyra Sedgwick, Johnny Depp, Denzel, George, Cate...but some unknown performances that really did deserve kudos (as far as I've seen in review, as I have not seen some of these films yet) also got recognized: Ellen Page in "Juno", Javier Bardem in "No Country for Old Men" (he looks totally creepy and cool), Amy Adams in "Enchanted" (I adored her in "Junebug" but this Disney rom-com needs a bit more to get me to the theatre).

The just released epic romance, "Atonement" based on the novel of the same name (which I indidentally just picked up from Barnes & Noble - talk about timing) got seven nominations across various categories, including acting nods to Knightly and her co-star, James McAvoy. I envy Miss Keira. She has had a charmed acting career, nabbing tons of juicy roles from period pieces to action-adventures. And she's like 20. I hate her. And as for McAvoy, I've seen his work before at Sundance in the moving and beautiful "Rory O'Shea Was Here" and loved his turn as a faun in "The Chronicles of Narnia". I did not get the chance to check him out in "The Last King of Scotland" but I just adore him. I really do. Good for him.


Other random musings:

  • Angelina Jolie got a nod for her portrayal of Marianne Pearl in "A Mighty Heart." Shocking.

  • Clint Eastwood got a nod in the - wait for it - Best Original Score category for a song he did for the Iraq widower drama, "Grace is Gone" starring John Cusack. I mentioned I saw this at Sundance, since my friend Rebecca Friese was in the film as well. Yeah!

  • I have not seen "Juno" yet but the trailers crack me up. Ellen Page is sarcastic, lovable and smart without being cloying all at the same time. Already love her.

  • Hurrah for Bill Paxton's nod for "Big Love." Not normally his fan, but he's perfect for the role of Bill, a man trying to live his public and polygamous life separately without having a mental breakdown. Talk about stress. Makes you wanna go home and hug your spouse after you see what his typical day is like.
  • I'm sad there were not any shoutouts to Judd Apatow for "Knocked Up" or "Superbad."

  • Why does "Hairspray" get nominated for anything? I still think that making a movie based on a musical that was based on a movie in the first place is just overkill. I admit, I didn't see it, but how can you turn a John Water's film into a fluffy Hollywood, light-hearted, musical romp? But shout out to Nikki Blonsky who got a best actress nod. I am all for the unknown who sees her star on the rise. You go, girl.

  • Does anyone else think Johnny Depp recycled his costume from "Edward Scissorhands" for his "Sweeney Todd" role? And haven't I seen that makeup on Helena Bonham Carter on the red carpet? Meow. I kid because I love HBC. She's a freak and I love that about her.

  • "Bee Movie" should be banned on the basis of cruel and unusual overpromotion on an unsuspecting public. I haven't seen anything hawked like that since Ginzu knives. You couldn't run, you couldn't hide. E tu, Jerry?

  • Yeah, Tina Fey for "30 Rock." Yeah, Alec Baldwin for the same (he is hilarious, people. I've almost forgotten he married Kim Basinger.) Yeah, Jamie Pressly for "My Name is Earl". She is the most hysterical, sarcastic, fast-talkin' piece of White Trash I would ever want on my side in a bar fight at Hooter's in Arkansas. How much can I pay to watch her in the ring for just 1 hour with both Paris and Brittany? Ah, sweet justice.

  • Hugh Laurie is British. I'm tired of people not knowing this. And I think his accent is bad and sounds like Smith from the Matrix movies. My husband says he is actually a really funny and famous comedian back in the UK and I think I'd enjoy him more in that vein than in the "Oh look at me, I'm so acerbic and witty and full of one liners to act like I'm masking a warm heart behind this cold exterior but really I truly am an egomaniacal jerk who knows the answers but likes to make you feel stupid and small and yet you keep thinking I'm such a great doctor" role he plays on "House." Maybe it's just me. "Nuff said.

  • No love from the Hollywood Foreign Press for "Heroes"? This is a bit of a surprise.

My parting thought on all of this: Some movies and performances the critics loved got no love, while others they hated got nominations. Just goes to show beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this is all just a bit of fun. But my congrats to all the nominees. I envy the wonderful feeling you must have right now as you get rewarded for work you enjoy doing in the first place. Enjoy your time as belles of the ball!

No comments: